1962 – 2012: TRAS TURNS 50!
HELP US TO SUPPORT OUR HIMALAYAN PARTNERS THROUGH
2012 marks TRAS’s 50th anniversary! Wow!
To honour and celebrate 50 incredible and successful years of funding grassroots projects that support children and youth in the Himalayas, TRAS is launching PROJECT 50!
Join us in making the world a better place for Himalayan children and youth!
Together we can:
- Raise $50,000 in honour of 50 years of service!
- Create a list of 50 different ways to raise $50 for TRAS projects – and then do them!
- Inspire 50 new people to join TRAS!
PROJECT 50! GOAL 1: RAISE $50,000
A generous anonymous donor will match donations dollar for dollar up to $25,000!
So your donation will immediately DOUBLE!
Deadline for YOUR donation: January 31, 2012
HELP US REACH $50,000 AND DONATE NOW!
Note: Individual sponsorships are not included in this offer, but are, of course, vital for the wellbeing of children.
PROJECT 50! GOAL 2: 50 WAYS TO RAISE $50 FOR TRAS!
A little goes a long way. You don’t need to raise a lot to make a difference.
What can YOU do to raise $50 for TRAS? Create a new idea, or do one from our list (see below). Help us come up with “50 Ways to Raise $50 for TRAS!” and help us do them!
Cheryl Sullivan, our Fundraising Director, held a garage sale in the summer. Ably helped by family and friends, she cleared out a lot of ‘stuff’ and made not just $50, but over $400 for TRAS! Way to go, Cheryl!
Tell us what you did or are going to do so that all of us can be inspired!
Here are 9 ideas. Help us think of 41 more!
- Hold a garage sale (see Cheryl Sullivan’s example above)
- Ask your favourite restaurant to save bottles for you for two weeks, and take them to a bottle depot for the refunds
- Hold a bottle collection at your place of work for a short period. TRAS member Laura Kassama did this, and raised over $100 for TRAS! Read Laura’s story:
- Host a Nepali film night in your home and ask for donations. TRAS can supply the film(s)! Write to Marina Guy at email@example.com. Read about TRAS’s Travelling Nepali Film Festival here
- Host a TRAS handicraft sale in your home. Contact Armila at the TRAS office: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ask your book club members to make a donation to help stock a shelf with books for a remote village library
- In lieu of gifts for birthdays, Christmas, retirement parties, etc, suggest a donation to TRAS – choose a particular project or make a general donation. You can set up a gift plan through CanadaHelps on this website. TRAS Directors Lynn and Frank Beck did this at Frank’s retirement party, and raised $600 for TRAS!
- Hold an online garage sale by advertising and selling items on Craigslist. Read Laura Kassama’s inspiring story
- Do something creative, like TRAS member Jessie Kaye’s “Loonie for a Loo” fundraiser to help TRAS pay for toilets to be built in India’s Kullu Valley. Jessie built a life-size outhouse out of cardboard. People donated $1 to stick a ‘brick’ on it. Jessie sold hundreds of ‘bricks’ and raised hundreds of dollars for TRAS!
What are YOU going to do?
PROJECT 50! GOAL 3: TALK TRAS! INSPIRE 50 NEW PEOPLE TO JOIN TRAS
Let’s all talk about the fantastic work TRAS does to alleviate poverty in the Himalayan region and inspire 50 people to join us in supporting this work!
- Tell others about TRAS and why you support TRAS
- Share the TRAS website with your friends and colleagues
- Forward the TRAS newsletter to your contacts
- Invite your family, friends and others to attend a TRAS event
- Ask your friends and family members if they would like to add their email addresses to the TRAS mailing list
- Invite a TRAS Director to present to your organization or a group of your friends. For info, contact Armila at the TRAS office: email@example.com or 604-224-5133
More info on TRAS’s 50th anniversary is in TRAS’s Fall 2011 newsletter, available here: http://tras.ca/newsletter/